Friday, October 2, 2009

A Week in Review

A warm, fuzzy, fall greeting to everyone this morning. Fall has settled into the valley, and I love it so much. I don’t have a lot to talk about today, but let’s do a Week in Review anyway, in kind of a random thoughts style.

October is my favorite month. It really is. I love the temperatures cooling down, and sweatshirts, and pumpkins everywhere, and the color of the leaves, and football, and the cute Halloween and Thanksgiving decorations, and putting more blankets on my bed and snuggling in. THIS is the most wonderful time of the year.

I took a long walk yesterday and it was gorgeous. The cool air and sunshine really made me happy, and I stayed happy for the rest of the day.

Something’s gone terribly wrong. One of my coworkers is making enough popcorn for the whole office, which is about 100 people, which is a lot of popcorn. I don’t know why he’s doing it. He just burned a bag, and the smell is terrible, and then he came out of his office with a bottle of air freshener. It did not help. Now we’re smelling scorched fruit.

Isn’t it strange – popcorn is delicious; one of the best things on this earth, but when it’s burned it’s really, really bad. Really bad.

I DON’T HAVE TO WORK LADIES NIGHT! I can’t believe I’ve waited this long to tell you that. The store doesn’t have enough guys to open, so I’m working tomorrow morning! I teared up a little when I saw that on the schedule. Best day ever.

Now the boss is walking around with more air freshener. Honestly.

My fingernails are painted a very dark red, and I like it.

People around here are very jolly about Conference Weekend. They actually say, “Have a nice Conference!” It’s kind of like Christmas.

Melody and I went to the Conference Center for the Relief Society meeting last Saturday. It’s a tradition. We’ve gone to almost every woman’s conference for as long as we’ve lived here, and then we go to dinner. I got a little grumpy about traffic this time, but it was worth the frustration. All of the talks were good. One of the counselors in the Presidency, Barbara Thompson, talked a little bit about how her plans for her life didn’t work out the way she had wanted them to, but that she’s always stayed close to the Lord, and that’s made all of the difference. I noticed how honestly happy she looked. Her eyes shine. She’s a good example for me, and for all of us.

Everyone who walks by comments on the awful popcorn smell.

Mariah, Savannah and I went shopping for Mariah’s birthday last Friday. She’s 17 now, and I can’t believe it. She’s really one of the sweetest girls, and fun, and just easy to have around. And she gives great hugs. So many things to love about Mariah.

I leave for my trip to Minnesota/Chicago/Wisconsin one week from today! I’m so ready. I don’t think that I’ve ever been so ready for a vacation in my life. I’ve been unbearably crabby lately. It’s time for a break.

The more I think about it, the more seriously I’m taking the idea of writing children’s books.

I’ve been saying that for years. It’s just that I’ve NEVER considered myself a writer, and I still don’t. Maybe I can just write some stuff without the “writer” title and see how it goes. I’m more comfortable with that.

The burned popcorn smell is making everyone a little loopy, and nauseous. This is as close to drunk as any of us get.

I want very much to spend the week of my birthday in London. Good idea, huh? Anyone want to come?

I think that’s it for today. Thanks, as always, for your continued awesomness.
You are loved.

(PS – I just added awesomness to my Word dictionary. It counts now.)

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Have a nice Conference! That's my new favorite. Utah is hilarious. And I hate the smell of burnt popcorn. I can smell it from here, I swear.

Nicole said...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Everyone commenting on the burned popcorn smell really took me back. Why do people always have to say SOMETHING instead of nothing. Speaking of being crabby...

Have fun in Minnesota!