Friday, September 18, 2009

A Week in Review

Hello All. How are things? Is summer winding down nicely? Ready to fall into the cool, crip, clean days of autumn? I am. Some of the leaves are changing in the mountains, and it gives me that warm, cozy feeling that always comes with fall. And I watched some football with my family on Sunday. Nice. Let's do A Week in Review.

RETREAT!
I wish that my Monday was as exciting as retreating from an advancing enemy, or from a cow being flung over a castle wall like in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Oh wait, that was "Run away!" Awesome. No, my retreat was the work kind. The Missionary Department joined with the MTC (Missionary Training Center) for a retreat at Spring Haven up Hobble Creek Canyon. Spring Haven is a very pretty place, lots of dark woodwork and rough stone walls. My understanding is that some years ago a wealthy family built this lavish home in mountains, and then for some reason donated it to BYU, which gives the MTC use of it. We've gone there for our retreats a few times now. It's a good drive to get there, so the department provided busses. Those who live in the Salt Lake area got on their bus at the COB at 7:15 am to get to Spring Haven a little after 9:00. That’s way too long to be on a bus. I live toward the south end of the valley, so I drove to the MTC in Provo. That bus left later in the morning, which is how I like it. Once at the MTC, I started to think that I could just follow the bus in my car, and have a more pleasant ride, and skip afternoon activities and go home early.

We drove about 40 minutes south of Provo and up Hobble Creek to Spring Haven. They had breakfast for us, bagels, muffins, donuts, milk and juices. Then we all went into a gym-like room and sat on metal chairs for some training. We played a Pictionary-ish game in small groups, ice-breaker I suppose, and then listened to some speakers and saw a few presentations, mostly focused on what they do at the MTC. It was interesting. Not really anything that I can use, but still pretty good. We were done with training about 12:30, and then were served a very nice lunch of chicken, pork, potatoes, salads and cheesecake. Everything’s better with cheesecake. Whoever catered that meal did a great job.

Then it was time for a project for the Humanitarian Services department - we built hygiene kits. After that free time and games, I ditched those turkeys. This is where my brilliant plan came to brilliant fruition. I asked my coworker Kelli if she wanted a ride home, and we took off. The drive back was actually fun. We don’t work in the same department, so we don’t interact much at work. It was good to have some time to really talk to her, and now I feel like I have a new work friend. A girl can always use another work friend.

Television
I have watched a few of the new programs debuting this fall on the tv, and some are pretty good. Glee has become a favorite. It’s funny, Jane Lynch especially, and the music is good. I loved the pilot episode. It left me feeling happy, and wanting to buy a Journey cd (they did a great rendition of Don’t Stop Believing). Since then the regular season hasn’t measured up to the pilot, which is disappointing, but I’m willing to give it some time. The whole concept is original (really, do we need 36 different crime shows, or 36 hours of Jay Leno?), and the cast is talented. Maybe you want to give it a try? Last night I watched the first episode of Community and laughed out loud. If it stays this good, then Thursday night on NBC will once again be the night for sitcoms. There’s 30 Rock, The Office, and now Community. I’m looking forward to this.

A Trip!
I’m leaving for Minnesota three weeks from today. So far stupid Delta hasn’t pulled anymore tricks, so I think that my flights will be ok. Once there, my parents and I are going to see Courtney and family in Rochester, then go to Chicago to my aunt and her family, and then to Eau Claire, WI to see Shane and his family. So much family! And I have a cousin who is getting married the Saturday before I leave, so that will be a big gathering of the Sivertson side. If I had a dollar for each family member I see in those 10 days…hey, that’s not a bad idea. Maybe they should each give me a dollar? Hmmmm.

Anyway, I’m really looking forward to it. Summer has been kind of long and dull. I didn’t do anything or go anywhere. My two best days were the 24th of July with Marla, and Labor Day with the Dotys. All work and no play makes Angie crabby as h**l, so it’s time for a trip. I’ve talked to Mom a few times this past week, and they’re getting excited too. Hehe! It’s going to be good.

A Story
Do you have time for a story? Flu shots are available this week at the COB. Cheryl and I were talking about them, and I told her about getting a tetanus shot when I was five years old. I must have gotten it in the morning because that afternoon I was at Kindergarten, and was sitting next to some other kids on a bench. My arm got very sore and swollen from the shot; it felt hot, and the kids on this bench kept bumping into it. It really hurt. I think I cried. My mom came and got me, took me home, and had me lay down on the couch. She got a pillow and put it under my arm, and I laid there like royalty and watched Sesame Street. Funny, how cute that my mom put my arm up on a pillow, so cute.

I think that’s if for this week. Thanks, as always for your continued devotion.
You are loved.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

You and your brilliant plans!

Kelli said...

I love week in review. I love the memory of your arm on the pillow. Moms are amazing. I remember my mom asking me what she could fix me to eat when I had something wrong. I asked for Hamburger Stroganoff. Hm. Strange memory.