Friday, May 8, 2009

A Week in Review

Hello All! It’s Friday morning, and I’m gearing up for another Week in Review. I stayed up too late last night, and so am kind of droopy today. I’ll try not to write a droopy post.

Spring
It’s really been beautiful downtown this week. The tulips are in full bloom with fantastic colors. The temperatures are in the 60s, lots of sun. I’ve gone for a walk every day up through Memory Grove Park and City Creek Canyon, and it’s given me new life. I haven’t felt this good in…I don’t know how long.

The walk from the COB up through Memory Grove, to the top of the canyon path, and then back to the building is 3 miles. I don’t walk that far now because I am so out of shape. I do maybe half of it. But, a few years ago when Nicole still worked here, we’d pound that trail out almost every day, and sometimes did it in July when it was 100 degrees outside. When I think about that now, my first reaction is, “We were CRAZY! We could have died.” But then I think that it was actually kind of awesome. We were heroes. And we had such good talks – really fun. Now I walk it on my own, which is probably for the best, because being so out of shape I go very slowly, and the heavy breathing is a bit embarrassing. Still, it’s a gorgeous walk.

Steve
Last Monday we had a going away party for Steve, who used to work at DB. Some of you will remember him. He’s not going away as in moving out of state, but he’s done with DB, and has decided to take a year to finish school and then get into teaching, which I think is great. Some of my coworkers wanted to host a get-together for him at our store. We ate pizza and talked and laughed and had cupcakes and just enjoyed the company.

It makes me think about all of the people I’ve worked with. Heck most of you who read this are people I’ve worked with. I honestly feel lucky in my jobs because I’ve made there some of the best friends I’ve ever had. When you spend 40 hours a week with a person, you can’t help forming ties. And it’s sad when coworkers leave to move on with their lives, (especially when my life can’t seem to move anywhere, but that’s another topic), but I remember you all with real fondness.

Mom
Speaking of remembering people with fondness – it’s Mother’s Day on Sunday! I bought my mom a little something and mailed it off.

The last time I was in Chicago with my aunt Beverly she brought out some old family pictures that she had decided she didn’t want or need anymore. I sorted through them and took a bunch. It was so exciting! I honestly love looking through pictures of Mom’s childhood. It seemed idyllic. Here are some of the pictures I found:

Sharon Ruth - This picture is dated 1946, which means that she was 9 years old.
1949, on a family vacation. Beverly is in the background on the left.
I love this picture. It's so classy. I'm guessing that she was in her early 20s when this was taken.
Mom was born in Wichita, Kansas in 1937 and grew up on a small city street with her parents and one sister, Beverly. She played baseball in the summer time, went to a movie every Friday night with her high school friends, and the family went on a vacation every summer. She graduated from high school in 1955, the age of poodle skirts and cat-eye glasses. After high school she went to college and got a degree in education, and then spent a few years teaching Kindergarten.

Mom went to a church social one afternoon with Beverly and her husband, and that is where she met my dad. He was stationed at the Wichita Air Force base. They were married in June, 1964, and after a year moved Minnesota, Dad’s home state, to start farming.

Life on a farm isn’t easy. Good in many ways but not easy, and I imagine it was especially difficult for a city girl who was far away from home. But that girl adapted and then succeeded like few are capable of doing. I don’t know anyone who can work like she does, or who is so is skilled in so many domestic tasks. She kept a huge garden and had enough vegetables canned or frozen by the end of every summer to last for a full year, and made all of our bread, and sewed most of my clothes. They had very little money, which I know was a real stress for her, but even with all that she lacked she raised six children who were always well fed and clothed, and who turned out pretty well. She has some regrets. Of course she does, who doesn’t look back with some regrets? But I know that she gave us absolutely all that she could. I don’t ask for anything more.

One of my earliest memories is of being with my family in the Idaho Falls temple when we were all sealed together. Mom and Dad joined the church when I was a toddler, and then took us all to the temple in 1974. I remember the nursery, and playing with Barbie dolls that had some pretty cool furniture. I remember a nice lady picking out a white dress for me to wear, and I remember the mirrors in the sealing room. I saw my mom in the mirrors, looking at me and smiling. She was beautiful. I’ll never forget it.

So happy Mother’s Day to my mom. I love you very, very much. And happy Mother’s Day to all of you moms! Hope you have a really nice day.

Thanks, as always, for your continued greatness.
You are loved.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

I love those pictures of your mom! And I loved reading her story--so neat. You obviously come from good stock!

Nicole said...

We are heroes. I need to go for a walk with you while it's still Spring. Next week? I LOVE those pictures of your Mom! So pretty.

Kelli said...

What a great tribute to your mom! The pictures were amazing. Good for you and your hero walking! I have yet to face that demon. I will also miss Steve. He needs to start a blog so I don't lose complete track of him! What a great nice guy!