Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Globe

Thinking back on my trip to London, I realize that most of the pictures in my mind are a blur. The city is emmense. We did our best to get in what we wanted to see most, but still I feel like we didn't even begin to experience it.

There is one moment, though, that is still very clear, and it is when we saw "King Lear" performed at Shakespeare's Globe Theater.

We didn't intend to see a play, but when we got to the Globe, we were told that a play was in progress, so they were not giving tours. We could, though, buy a five pound ticket, go into the theater and watch from the standing area.

I stood off to the side of the stage, and from there could see the play and look up into the stands at the audience. It was raining, a very soft rain that I could just barely feel. I pulled up the hood on my jacket and tried to push back as close to the stands as possible where there was a little bit of cover.


As I stood there, my eyes went back and forth, from the stage to the stands. It was all so beautiful. London, the actors, feeling the rain, looking up at the thachted roof and into the sky, hearing Shakespeare's words performed in a setting exactly as they would have been 500 years ago, I felt like I'd stepped back in time. The emotion was overwhelming. My eyes teared up, and I thanked God for giving me that small moment. I'll never forget it.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

What an amazing moment! I am, quite frankly, a bit envious! Thanks for sharing.

Nicole said...

So jealous. I love that you have a photo of the empty theater and then the packed one. What a great thing to experience.