Friday, July 31, 2009

A Week in Review

It's been two weeks since I've written this, so you'd think I'd have something interesting to say. I hope you're not too disappointed. Let's do a Week in Review.

Hashbrown Winters
My bookstore manager, Frank Cole, has written a book! And I read it, and think that it is definitely worth recommending. It's a middle reader, good for kids, especially boys, is quick and easy to read, has a lot of good humor, and is just fun. You can buy it at DB, of course, and it's available at Barnes and Noble, and through Amazon.com.

In other readings, I'm in the middle of a short novel by John Steinbeck, "The Moon is Down". It's great. I've loved Steinbeck for years. His style is so simple. He can take a profound idea, and in two sentences give it clarity, and I think "Yeah, that's it." I've always been amazed by how does that. This book mysterious. Not a mystery novel, but the story is told in a way that leaves me wondering what's really going on. An invading troop has taken over a city and are establishing rule... other than that I don't know. I'm sure it will come together in the end, and be very intriguing, and I'm eager to get to it.

The 24th
I had great plans for the 24th of July - cleaning out my closet. Man it's a mess, and has been for a long time. After a good sleep in I was laying about and thinking that it was time to get to work when I checked my phone, and Marla had called! So I called back. They were going to the pool! Did I want to come with? Well, I do have this closet....of course I'm coming with! It was good, good fun, and I needed it. All of the previous week I'd been feeling kind of sorry for myself. I hadn't had any summertime fun, no sunshine, no relaxing. The pool was just the thing to kick me out of my slump. I was horrified, though, by how blindingly white my legs are.

It was William's first time at the pool. He was in a very cute Speedo jumper-style suit, and was rubbed down with enough sun screen to keep him safe through the 5th grade. It looked like Marla was buttering up a turkey. He was nervous about the water at first. Marla held him and splashed water on his legs, and we all acted like we were having the most fun ever. I'd dip under the water and then came up and said "boo", which he loves. "Boo" is the best way to make him smile. Until Jonah does it. Jonah get right in his face and yells "BOOOO!" like a crazy person and terrifies the poor kid. Not helping. But eventually Will took to the water, and we "swam" him back and forth between us, and he giggled and laughed. So sweet.

The pool is my ultimate luxury. I just love it. I love laying in a chair and feeling my skin sizzle, and then walking into the cold water. I love being in deep water and just floating there, and being surrounded by it. Nothing is more relaxing for me. It's wonderful.

After swimming we got some pizzas, and then shot off home-style fireworks in the street after dark. It was such a good day. Very good indeed.

I think that's it for now. A short edition of a Week in Review.
Thanks, as always, for you constant greatness.
You are loved.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I'm very impressed by your manager's book! How exciting!

Also, I love the pool too. Glad you had a chance to go. My favorite line: "...and was rubbed down with enough sun screen to keep him safe through the 5th grade."