Friday, August 22, 2008

A Week in Review

It's time for another edition of the weekly post A Week in Review. Pull up a chair and stay a while.

Finding Treasure
This week I found something I've been wanting for years. I will tell this story from the beginning. A long time ago, in a land far, far away (Murray, Utah) I worked for a company called TSI. One day at the office, I found an old copy of a book called Song of Years by Bess Streeter Aldrich that someone had left behind. I decided to borrow and read it. I absolutely loved it! I read it several times over. I didn't want to give it up, but at the same time was worried that someone in the office owned it, so I asked around. No one claimed it back again, so I kept it.

Since then, I've moved home, been on a mission, moved back to Salt Lake, and lived in eight different homes. I've kept that book with me the whole time. It's an old copy, paperback, torn up a bit, and yellow. I've wanted to get a nice hardcover version, but learned that it had gone out of print. The copy write date is 1930something. I have over the years, every now and then, checked different places for a nice used copy with no luck. Until Monday. I decided to get on Amazon.com and look it up. They had a new copy, in hardcover, available to order. I bought it and paid extra for two day shipping. It arrived Wednesday, and it is beautiful! I almost cried. The cover is a nice light blue, the cloth kind like they used to put on books, with the title embossed in gold on the side. No dust jacket, which I like. The pages are a nice, smooth paper...it's just perfect. It looks brand new. I don't know how Amazon came to have a new copy? But they did, and it's mine now. I gave it a prominent place up on the top of my bookshelf where I can see it all of the time. So happy!

Facebook
All of my family have joined the Facebook craze. Wanting to be a part of the group, and to better stay in touch with my sisters-in-law out of state, I decided to create an account too. I guess it's kind of cool. You can put all kinds of information in your profile, post messages to people, post pictures. I've done more reading on other's pages then writing on mine. I do have a blog after all. There's only so much computer play time a person can get in while at work.

So Sleepy
I've discovered, or slowly come to admit, that I have something in common with 85 year old men. I cannot sit down in the afternoon without falling asleep. Well, more exactly, if I go into my room later in the day, it usually leads to a nap. I have for some time now taken good naps on Saturdays (when I don't have other plans) after work at the bookstore. I figure that after working six days I have a good reason to rest up a bit. I usually sleep for two hours. Well, my Saturday sleeping has started to move into other days. Yesterday, I got home from the office a little before six and went into my room to read for a while. I woke up two hours later. This is getting pathetic. I do get up a little after 6:00 am, and work long days, but still. I'm a healthy girl in her thirties. I really should be able to get through a whole day without sleeping in the middle of it. Honestly.

Olympics
Is anyone else bored with the Olympics now? Well, I shouldn't say bored. I'm still watching it here and there. I had no idea that the trampoline was an Olympic event. That blew my mind. And I watched the beach volleyball girls win their gold, only because my roommate had it on, and it turned out to be more fun than I thought it would be. It's always fun to see how happy people are when they win. Still, I'm wondering when the closing ceremonies are. All good Olympiads must come to an end.

Cortni
Yesterday I got my invitation to my niece Cortni's wedding. It's really nice, and still really unbelievable. The wedding is three weeks from today. My parents and brother will be here from Minnesota, which is always fun. It'll be a really good time. I'm preparing myself, though, to not be too emotional. It just seems that once the oldest moves on to the next stage, it isn't long before they're all following closely behind, and I can't believe that any of these kids are already so grown up. Still, she's very happy. It is good to see her so happy.

Shadow
Let's end with some pictures. The other day one of the men I work with had me come into his office to see the shadows on the temple. We're along the west side of the COB, so our windows have a great view. This week, as the sun's come up in the morning, it's hit the Angel Moroni just right to cast a shadow onto the spires behind it. It's really very pretty. He said that it happens during the summer solstice (I'll pretend to know what that is), and happens only a few days out of the year. This morning I took some pictures. I had to do it through the window, so they're a little spotty, but you can still see the view.


Well, my dear friends, I think that's it for this week. Thanks for your time and attention.
You are loved.

No comments: